What is a webzine?
A webzine is a magazine that is published electronically on the internet.
Pros and Cons of a webzine:
- Much cheaper than printing
- Greater circulation and subscription potential- global coverage
- Highly targeted- email directly to your target audience
- high brand exposure potential throughout
- ideal for any industry
- You can bring your content to life with videos, audio and links
- Full artistic control, including quality full sized images
- Can be quite easy to make
- Eco- friendly
- Can be hard to read- requires coming in and out
- May add layer of confusion to reader
- Some people like read things physically
Pros and cons of print magazine:
- Its a more comfortable reading experience for some
- Its portable
- You don’t have to wait for pictures to download
- taken more seriously by sources
- Print is superior to online when the online publication is unable to reach their target audience due to them not being online.
- Magazines aim for one particular target audience, while online is able to reach all
- It costs money to buy whereas online is free
- Its not as eco friendly (using paper)
This is and example of a webzine. I have chosen this as an example because i like how it has a simp listing look to it. I like how its not overcrowded by advertisements or other things like some print magazines or other webzines are. The reason for this is because i find it hard to be able to read things when there is lots of other things going on within that page, so keeping it plain and simple makes it look more neat and tidy and easier to read. I also like that the webzine has a video on it, this gives it an advantage from print magazines because they re unable to include video or audio. It also has links to other pages which is another benefit webzines. I also like how the links are set out because they are all categorised correctly so that i know what the link is for. I especially like the hashtag section because its very up to date and present to this day which is relevant for the whole point in webzines as they are fairly new as well. Another good feature of the webzine is that it has a social media section which is also important with the nature of the format because almost everyone who reads magazines online is most likely to have social media, therefore its an advantage to have social media links in order for the audience to be able to get involved through there social media accounts also subscribe to there page to see updates. Although this webzine page does have a ‘Return’ button (which i assume would navigate you to the home page), i think that the webzine would benefit from having a navigation bar because I think that this would look more easier for the audience to navigate around the site. I like that the magazine has a responsive layout because having the picture big and central draws the reader into the article.
Growth of webzines
“In the late 1990s, e-zine publishers began adapting to the interactive and informative qualities of the Internet instead of simply duplicating print magazines on the web. Publishers of traditional print titles and entrepreneurs with an eye to a potential readership in the millions started publishing online titles. Salon.com, founded in July 1995 by David Talbot, was launched with considerable media exposure and today reports 5.8 million monthly unique visitors. In the 2000s, some webzines began appearing in a printed format to complement their online versions.” – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_magazine
This is an example of a webzine that you can purchase – http://wizio.net/preview/?theme=Vanda
These are some of the theme features:
- “Responsive & Retina Ready Design”- This means that website will adapt to any device depending on its shape and size for an easy usage. Retina means it is copyable with high quality display devices.
- “Fully Customizable via WordPress Customizer” – when purchasing a theme for a website, you want to make it your own so when you buy a theme they make it so you can customise it to make it your website.
- “Ecommerce Ready – Fully Integrated WooCommerce Plugin” – “E-commerce (electronic commerce or EC) is the buying and selling of goods and services, or the transmitting of funds or data” – http://searchcio.techtarget.com/definition/e-commerce
- “Featured Area – Slider
Featured Area – Slider 2
Featured Area – Panes
Featured Area – Tabs
Featured Area – Carousel”- these are a variety
of different ways to display the content on the website e.g.the carousel part of the this example website would be the first thing on the page where you can move the content round and round like a carousel.
When creating a logo, you need to think about the type of design and typography that will go int it, this is important because this will always be associated with your website.
From looking at different logos, i feel like i want to put a type of simple image in there because this could be the image that will be on my favicon.
This is an example of Zoella’s logo. The ‘Z’ in this logo is the biggest part of the logo and therefore is the most rememberable part. Therefore this is going to be the icon for the favicon. It also has a unique font which is going to be associated with this specific website.
This is the logo for WordPress. This is a good logo to use because it is a uniform shape meaning it can fit in more or less any shape or place such as the favicon. It also make sit a referable and easy shape to visualise.