|The Sheffield College|
|Journalism and social media communication|
I am going to produce a lifestyle themed website which will include media packages, photojournalism, podcasts and news articles using various topics that will relate to the target audience of 16-25 year olds. I will do this by using the skills that I have built up in the previous 12 units, these include; time management, using thisistap, implementing wordpress, using Photoshop, photography skills such as ISO, depth of field and aperture. I have also learnt how to professionally conduct an interview, and how to video, edit and produce audio and voice recordings. The main skill I have learnt throughout these units is how to write journalistic content in multiple formats and meeting deadlines on time. I chose the journalism pathway because I enjoy writing about various topics to entertain/inform others. My Unit 12 specialist study (https://miyabiggin.wordpress.com/2017/01/10/literal-review-12-2-1-12-2-2/) highlighted the issue of mainstream media’s unrealistic portrayal of women and its negative impact on women. My audience is primarily female and therefore I will not be portraying them in this way, for example when taking pictures for my article on Strobing which is all about make-up on women, I will make sure I will use natural lighting and not Photoshop them to make them look unnatural.
My aims and concepts for my FMP is to produce a portfolio of content and upload this to a presentation website which will function as a digital portfolio. I have had practice doing this in the previous unit 9 (https://miyabiggin.wordpress.com/2017/02/17/9-3-1-evaluate-product-and-production-of-webzine/), here I built the appropriate skills and gave me this idea for my FMP. Some content that I will be writing will be things such as; vintage fashion, make-up and health. This was inspired by some pieces of writing I did in unit 10 when I did research on lifestyle, followed by blog posts and articles about lifestyle (https://miyabiggin.wordpress.com/category/year-2/unit-10/portfolio-ad-production-reports-10-1-2-10-2-1-10-2-2/). Some of the resources that I will be using to produce content will be cameras, zoom mics, video cameras and computers to edit audio. I have decided to use WordPress to produce my website on because I am familiar with the site from using it throughout the year so far, and I have learnt the knowledge and skills I need to create a professional looking site. I also think its a very sufficient way to present my work. I have evaluated the pros of using WordPress in Unit 9 ( I will meet my deadlines by making sure I leave plenty of time to produce my content. I will be sourcing stories and finding out information via social media, newspapers, websites and blogs.
In order to keep track of what I have done (and why) for the whole of this project, I am going to be keeping a production diary that reflects of everything that I have produced throughout the whole of the project. Each time I complete, edit or improve anything within my work, I will be explaining what i have done, why and any problems I faced. This is important because it gives me a full understanding of what I have done and why, so that when it comes to creating the website that my content will be showcased in, I will know exactly whats been done, what hasn’t and what needs to be done. I will be organising this creating an action plan of the dates of which things need to be completed by in order to meet deadlines, and dating each production diary entry I make.
- Online Journalism Blog. 2017. How to get started as a multimedia journalist | Online Journalism Blog. [ONLINE] Available at: https://onlinejournalismblog.com/2012/08/21/how-to-get-started-as-a-multimedia-journalist/. [Accessed 28 February 2017].
- BBC News. 2017. BBC Academy – Journalism – Multimedia journalism. [ONLINE] Available at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/academy/journalism/skills/multimedia-journalism. [Accessed 28 February 2017].
- Bull, A. (2010) Multimedia journalism: A practical guide. New York: Taylor & Francis.
- Cosmopolitan. 2017. Cosmopolitan, the women’s magazine for fashion, beauty, sex tips and celebrity news. [ONLINE] Available at: http://www.cosmopolitan.com/uk/. [Accessed 21 March 2017].
- The Telegraph. 2017. Great British Bake Offâs new line-up revealed with Noel Fielding, Prue Leith and Sandi Toksvig joining Paul Hollywood . [ONLINE] Available at: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/16/great-british-bake-offs-new-line-up-revealed-noel-fielding-prue/. [Accessed 29 March 2017].
- SurveyMonkey. 2017. SurveyMonkey – Log in . [ONLINE] Available at: https://www.surveymonkey.com/home/. [Accessed 29 March 2017].